The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Rejected Direct Deposit

edited March 2011 in Stupid Questions
Just had a new one for me.

We had an employee who had his direct deposit reject due to a closed account. We cut him an A/P check when the bank returned the funds. He wasn't happy about the delay in pay, yet he closed the account and didn't let us know.

I informed him that he needs to fill out our DD Change Form to request the closed account to be stopped, and a new account to be activated.

He told me that wasn't his problem, he won't fill out a form, and that I will be getting a calls from his old bank and new bank to explain.

What is there to explain? He closed one account and opened a new one so it is simple as FILLING OUT THE FORM.

Comments

• Wow, just wow. It's not his problem?! Getting paid properly isn't his problem??

I like David's idea, of course.
  • He's already told you he closed the account. Turn off his direct deposit immediately and he gets a check until he figures out a new DD authorization is HIS responsibility ONLY. You don't have to do ANYTHING based on a call from his old bank, his new bank, or the bank of cluelessness. :P
  • Been there and done that. Unless I get the form filled out with the new information and the employee's signature they get a live check....I don't like that, but I will not change the direct deposit information on 'a call from the bank'.... :roll:
  • PrJeff wrote:

We had an employee who had his direct deposit reject due to a closed account. We cut him an A/P check when the bank returned the funds. He wasn't happy about the delay in pay, yet he closed the account and didn't let us know.

I informed him that he needs to fill out our DD Change Form to request the closed account to be stopped, and a new account to be activated.

He told me that wasn't his problem, he won't fill out a form, and that I will be getting a calls from his old bank and new bank to explain.

What is there to explain? He closed one account and opened a new one so it is simple as FILLING OUT THE FORM.

I'll bet you're dealing with a salesperson, they are allergic to any type of paperwork and will always attempt to pass it on to someone else! :mrgreen:
  • I will not change the direct deposit information on 'a call from the bank'.
    For sure - no exceptions - start doing that and it is an invitation to commit fraud.

I wonder why he thought payroll would know he changed banks --- or perhaps that is the problem - he didn't think of it - so it is payroll's fault. New employee huh? - and so confident and secure that he feels he can afford to PO payroll? :shock: In this economy? - I always thought it was really important to be nice to the people who process my pay. 8)

Actually, I always thought it was important to be nice to everybody - you never know which person who worked for you, was hired on your recommendation, you met at the reception desk on your first day, or worked in the mail room will be your next boss. :roll:
  • Patrick, my dad used to say...

From the President to the janitor, treat everyone with respect.

Also used to say, you never know because some day that janitor could be your boss.
  • When I started working for the Boy Scouts (many years ago) Our Council was one of three councils that became one council (officially) two months after I started work. Two of the Scout Execs (top guy in the council) were gone by the time I got there. The Scout Exec for the merged council had already arrived, but was technically working in one of the pre merger councils, and the third exec was planning on retiring within about a year or so - retirement date was set, but he was going to be around until then.

Terrific guy - well liked by everyone - but what to do with him? He was shuffled around from position to position until the new staff was hired - went from scout exc to assistant scout exec to field director to program director to (I think) finally, chief gofer. Anyway, he kept saying that he had learned that he should always be nice to people on his way up because he sure as heck was going to meet them again on his way down.

He also said something about birthdays - sort of like "It seems really odd to get all kinds of recognition and gifts for something everyone had accomplished but had little say in what took place."
  • PrJeff wrote:

If the account is closed, I just delete the direct deposit. If I don't, it will get sent back every payday and cause me more work. If the eee wants to re-start direct deposit, then a form is required.
  • Agree with all the previous posters. If the account is closed, delete the account until you receive the proper documentation to set up a new direct deposit. Until then, live check, no ifs, ands, or buts. Company policy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file