The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

"Not within my pay range"

edited February 2011 in Let off some steam
After posting and receiving such good information on the taxation of Adult Children coverage, I met with our HR Director in order to get a good breakdown of the cost to the employees who will have post tax insurance costs this year. We are self funded.

The first reply is that he doesn't know. I asked shouldn't we have some way to determine the cost per dependent for something like this.

After a few minutes he says what if we ignore it, since it is not all states.... after some more discussion, he says:

"That is not within my pay range to decide"

After getting my supervisor involved, he is calling our TPA to get some help in determining this.

Comments

• wanda wrote:
    After posting and receiving such good information on the taxation of Adult Children coverage, I met with our HR Director in order to get a good breakdown of the cost to the employees who will have post tax insurance costs this year. We are self funded.

The first reply is that he doesn't know. I asked shouldn't we have some way to determine the cost per dependent for something like this.

After a few minutes he says what if we ignore it, since it is not all states.... after some more discussion, he says:

After getting my supervisor involved, he is calling our TPA to get some help in determining this.

I thought self funded plans would use their COBRA rates for this purpose. When we had to impute income for dependent coverage in CT (prior to passage of PPACA) we used the single COBRA rate as the FMV of the coverage and that was the imputed income amount.
  • wanda wrote:

I thought self funded plans would use their COBRA rates for this purpose. When we had to impute income for dependent coverage in CT (prior to passage of PPACA) we used the single COBRA rate as the FMV of the coverage and that was the imputed income amount.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file