The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Hold Music - Grrrr

Comments

• It's a small facility - we could get maybe 10 couples in one long line without opening the door and using the porch - we were able to fit in three squares by off setting - or two contra lines I think we had 6 and 7 couples in the lines and there was mostly enough room - but the comment was made that Southern dancers tend to swing wide. Most all were experienced dancers - 6 or 7 callers trying things out and the other callers and dancers would critique and make suggestions about the calling and the dances - Actually did a couple of really cool squares. And Rhiannon is fabulous.

I find a lot of English Country patterns in some of the contra dances lately - particularly half figure eight and contra-corners (I know it is called "contra" but contra dancers seem to have trouble with it while it seems to show up a bit more in English - I suppose the classic application is Fandango.

Anyway, one of the criticisms of a couple of dances where that there were too many patterns for the dancers to remember.
  • Contra dancing? Anything like square dancing?
  • Maybe it's just me, but whenever I call the IRS, I find that all the reps are able to do is read to me out of the same publications that are already posted online. If I have a question that goes beyond that, or a specific question that I need clarification on, I am generally SOL. They either refer me to someone in the tax law department, who are never available and never return calls, or I get the same information that I already found their website, or I get transferred to another rep who tells me something that is completely in conflict of what the first rep said. I have several friends who work for the agency (not as call center agents), and they are very good at what they do, but don't ask them about anything outside of their scope of expertise. I used to commute on the bus with someone who actually did work at the local IRS call center, and he basically told me that they don't know anything other than whatever documentation is already out for public consumption - all they do is look it up on their computer.
  • Well, sort of, like square dancing is like round dancing. Some patterns are different. Squares are done in squares and you and your partner dance the entire dance with three other couples. Round dances are done in a big circle and you and your partner dance the entire dance with just about everyone in the circle. Contra dance is done in long lines of couples (major set) with minor sets of two couples dancing together for 64 beats - then each couple progresses up or down the line (depending upon which way they were facing when the dance started) and they dance the same dance (64 beats) with the next couple in line, and so on until they reach the end of the line - where they turn around, usually wait out one turn, and then come back in progressing in the other direction. If the dance goes long enough, you and your partner dance with every couple in the line.

They are all part of the country set dancing tradition which includes English Country, Scottish Country, Irish Country, and the various forms of American country dancing including squares, rounds, and contras.

Here is a link to a video - Both Santa Claus and I are in it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOMxx6Mcj_c&feature=related
  • Maybe it's just me, but whenever I call the IRS, I find that all the reps are able to do is read to me out of the same publications that are already posted online.

It's not you - that is what is going on. If I call in with a question, I know the first line customer service people won't be able to help me. But generally I have been able to get to someone who is able to discuss the situation - perhaps you may want to emphasize you are a payroll professional and the issue is not covered in the publications.
  • I do that, lol....that's when they transfer me to the "tax law" department, where I sit on hold for an additional 35 minutes, or get a voice mail to leave a message that is never returned.

Sometimes I think that they do it on purpose, just so they can force taxpayers to do something incorrectly, so they can impose penalties later....
  • David, LOL! Maybe it's a new, sneakier way for them to get more money, eh?
  • I've actually found the folks at the IRS very helpful when it comes to personal issues I'm dealing with them on. Work issues, not so much.

Patrick, I took square dancing at college one semester for my PE requirement (junior college). At night, lots of older folks, I was 18. I figured it would be easy. I've never been so pooped in my life! :P
  • I was 18. I figured it would be easy. I've never been so pooped in my life!

We usually wear the (new) young folks out about a third of the way into the 3 hour dance :wink: There are some advantages to knowing how to move efficiently :D

My daughters tell me that it is no longer aerobic for me because I no longer have to think about what I am doing :roll:
  • Dancing this weekend, for the first time since November. Yahoo! And, double bonus, we're taking some newbies along -- it's going to be fun!
  • Gee - you mean I danced with you the last time you danced? - I did not think I did that badly - I'm pretty sure I did not step on your feet or throw you onto the floor. I think I would remember something like that.

Oh, unless, of course, you danced Thanksgiving weekend - then it wasn't the last time and it wasn't my fault :wink: .
  • worst hold music of all time that i've come across, the city of Philadelphia... i believe it's the theme song to the Tetris game.... and they're so slow/over-worked that i'm on hold for at least a half hour each time i call!!!!!!

i think they do it on purpose to get people to hang up.
  • i believe it's the theme song to the Tetris game..

Does it speed up the longer you are on hold?
  • Patrick, no worries -- it just so happened that life intervened with my dance schedule...

Added bonus: the newbies loved contra dancing!

Hey, if you're into dancing & hiking, there is a great weekend dance camp at Camp Sturtevant -- a 5-mile hike to a great retreat in the San Bernardino Mtn wilderness where everything is packed in either on mules or with you, this Memorial Day weekend. The camp was built in the late 1800s and is just gorgeous. It's the only mule-pack-in retreat in the U.S., according to the forest ranger who watches over it.

I've done this one a couple of times and absolutely loved it.
  • where everything is packed in either on mules or with you
    No way - In this economy I would feel really guilty if I caused a mule to lose its job.