The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Hold Music - Grrrr

KathieKathie ✭✭
edited February 2011 in Let off some steam
We use one of the big players for payroll..... last pay period, my assistant and I both spent several hours on the phone (mostly on hold) for two days trying to get some things entered.... some kind of glitch on their end, and we couldn't make any changes - they had to enter all of our maintenance for us. Who knows.

Today, I've already spent an hour - mostly on hold - trying to get something else fixed. I can't take this "hold music" much longer!!! But I don't want to hang up, I'll never get them to fix it for me.

Comments

• What are they playing, Kathie. The IRS often has the Nutcracker (even when it isn't Christmas). :shock:
  • pattypa wrote:
    The IRS often has the Nutcracker (even when it isn't Christmas). :shock:

I noticed that, too, and was inordinately amused :D

Someone there has a sense of humor on 'em. Or is sick and twisted- your pick!
  • I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it's annoying. You know how in a scary movie, the music kind of builds and gets louder building the suspense? It kind of reminds me of that, then it stops like maybe someone is picking up the phone, and then it starts all over again. Frustrating.
  • Kathie wrote:
    then it stops like maybe someone is picking up the phone, and then it starts all over again. Frustrating.

Oh, I hate that! :evil:
  • I hate it when it just gets to the part of the music I really like and a voice comes on and tells me my call is important to them - so please don't hang up - and then tells me how I can access information on the website (Hey, If I could do it on the web site, I would not be on the phone).

I had not thought about the IRS making a joke (or statement) with the hold music selection I will say that I appreciate the "beeb, beep", and then the ring with a bit of time before the rep actually picks up the phone - I can be doing other things and still be ready to talk when the rep actually answers.

Just a thought - what other music might be appropriate for the IRS?
    I'm thinking "Another one bites the dust"
    or "Takin' care of business"
    or "Side by Side" (Oh we ain't got a bundle of money, we may seem ragged and funny...)
    "Jail House Rock"???
  • Money (That's What I Want) :lol:
  • How about "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQemvyyJ--g
  • "I'm Busted" - Ray Charles

"You Never Give Me Your Money" - The Beatles

"Money For Nothing" - Dire Straits
  • And another from The Beatles - Tax Man.
  • I was thinking of compiling the list and sending it to the IRS, but then I thought we ought to stick to stuff in the public domain. Music royalties are probably not in the budget. :roll:
  • ...and then tells me how I can access information on the website (Hey, If I could do it on the web site, I would not be on the phone).
    quote]

That is EXACTLY what I said to myself :lol:
  • The IRS is not longer using anything I recognize - except that it is the IRS hold music - maybe they had something commissioned as part of government support of the arts - perhaps that is where spending will be cut to reduce the deficit. Called the IRS five (count 'em - 5 - ) times yesterday - not as bad as it could be - the waits were in the 10-25 minute ranges each time - was put on hold while the rep investigated the situation (this was all on the same client)

First rep (possibly erroneously) told me I needed to fax in a Form 2848 for a year we were not discussing. I say "possibly" because I don't know if we needed to discuss that year because he could not discuss that year with me. I had it and did fax it in on the fourth call, but we did not seem to need it for that year.
    Second rep told me the IRS system went down and I would have to call back.
    Third time I got started describing the situation and the call dropped - don't know if it was at their end or mine.
    Fourth time we almost finished and the call dropped. Again, I don't know if it was their end or mine.
    Fifth time I called and confirmed that what we had almost finished actually got finished (it had - and I got a voice mail from the rep working on it that it had been finished, but I was at home and not at the office during the fourth and fifth phone calls (IRS is open until 10 pm).
  • Currently enjoying the IRS hold music. Well, maybe "enjoying" is overstating it.
  • Currently enjoying the IRS hold music.

Not dancing to it? Sylvia - I'm disappointed :wink:
    Gee - that contra dance would go on forever - I'm going to write one with a "hunker down" in it. They still call for Hans Forr every dance and so far as I can tell, the guy has never shown up. I don't know why they keep calling for him - perhaps his car is about to be towed. We had a callers' collective dance last weekend and tried out some pretty creative dances - Rhiannon from the Carolina Chocolate Drops provided the music (Grammy Nomination for Best Traditional Folk Album - Traditional Negro Jig - category 68). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbcqGjeNz7w&feature=related.
  • Patrick, I'm jealous. Wish I could have been there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file