The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

First call for a W-2

rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in Let off some steam
6:30 am on a Saturday morning (the 8th)....REALLY? Makes me want to hold hers until Jan 31st at midnight...

I work from home and have a VOIP that is downstairs in my office...at least it didn't wake us up. But when I saw the call and the message, I felt the need to listen to it on a Saturday (one of the disadvantages of working from home!)

Comments

• Three requests so far. Fortunately, the guy whose wife calls at year end and wants the total on his last paycheck hasn't called (yet) this year...

I only have 2 states to do reporting for, plus Federal, but it looks like I'll have more states next year... :roll: "Cost effective" is not a phrase in TPTB's lexicon.
  • rrupert wrote:
    REALLY? Makes me want to hold hers until Jan 31st at midnight...

Thats how I'm feeling about one of my plants right now. Time and time again they're late (and inaccurate) with all things payroll and constantly cause me unnecessary stress.

I'm thinking of delivering their W2's at 4pm on the 31st with the hope that their 484 employees are lined up waiting. "Oh, you had to stay late that night?? Well shucks, I'm sorry!"
  • They just have to be postmarked by 01-31.... :twisted:
  • Oh, now don't get too testy - most preparers are required to e-file - RALs are on the ropes - sort of - the implementation of some of the extender items into the IRS software may take until Mid Feb - Thus the preclusion of filing for many returns until after that date -

On the other hand, if any of you - particularly those of you on the West Coast, need a reminder that W-2 Forms need to go out to employee's this month - I can give you a reminder call tomorrow morning (Saturday) when I get up (about 7 AM Eastern) :roll:
  • Hi~ I actually received a phone call on Dec 30th. When I explained to her that we have until Jan 31st to get W2s out, she explained that she needed to get her refund now because she and her husband are moving. I then told her that the current year wasn't even over (I had a payroll for Dec31st.) she still insisted on getting her
    W2 early. I explained that I would be mailing out her W2 by Jan 31st and that she would just have to wait until then. She still didn't understand.
  • My group wants me to create 3 W2c this week.

W2s have not yet run.

Not having much luck explaining that I cannot create an accruate W2c until I have a W2. Also, the ones requesting the W2c cannot tell me what they believe is wrong on the W2 they haven't seen yet.

My guys want what they want, when they want it, even if they aren't sure what they want.
  • the ones requesting the W2c cannot tell me what they believe is wrong on the W2 they haven't seen yet.

Well, Gee - we know it will be wrong when it comes out - so why not avoid the rush and get the W-2c taken care of ahead of time?
  • the ones requesting the W2c cannot tell me what they believe is wrong on the W2 they haven't seen yet.

Well, Gee - we know it will be wrong when it comes out - so why not avoid the rush and get the W-2c taken care of ahead of time?

I noticed when I entered a couple of W-2s on the SSA site that they instructed the payroll professional to give the W-2s to the employees for them to review for accuracy before payroll filed them with SSA. Uh, I'm sorry, but if I relied on the employees to tell me what should be on the W-2.... well, you know how that would work out.
  • Ahhh- Melissa,
    on the SSA site that they instructed the payroll professional to give the W-2s to the employees for them to review for accuracy before payroll filed them with SSA.

That means that you issue the W-2 Forms to the employees by Jan 31, but hold off filing with SSA until Feb 28 (paper) or Mar 31 (e-file) so that if the employees or tax preparers actually manage to detect errors, they let you know and you can prepare and file a corrected W-2 rather than a W-2c. This also keeps the number of name/number mismatches down at the IRS so you don't get so many notices about those from the IRS to respond to.

All the SSA is saying is "don't send it to us before giving it to the employee". :wink:

The employee is your final quality control check - however unreliable that may be, it is something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file