The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

RI and MA pay frequencies

edited October 2010 in General Payroll Topics
So payroll has been informed that the company would like to change to a semi-monthly payroll. This is not that huge of a deal, except that we have hourly employees in both RI and MA. RI won't let us pay any less frequently than weekly, and MA bi-weekly for hourly employees.

I have suggested running these two sites on a weekly basis, and the rest of the company on a semi-montly basis. However, I have been tasked to find out what the penalties each of these states could charge for non-compliance with this rule are. Anyone have any insight into this?

I know it's not a good idea. I've explained why it isn't... BUT, I would like to be able to provide some sort of information regarding what we could potentially be penalized should we elect to not follow this rule.

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Did find one piece of information, MA Sec 27C. (a)(1) - "... shall be punished by a fine of not more than $25,000.00 or by imprisonment for not more than one year for a first offense..."

so yeah. not gonna happen.
  • so yeah. not gonna happen.
    Depends on who gets to go to jail. :roll:

What was the idea? "We are going to break the law unless the penalties are too severe?" Sounds like a workplace where I would want to have my resume up to date.