The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Direct deposit cancellation

I'd like to get feedback on how you would handle the following situation:

An employee cancelled her direct deposit last payroll. A note was sent to payroll to stop the direct deposit authorization effective with the next payroll. Unfortunately, it was overlooked and the direct deposit stayed in effect.

Now that the employee has closed the account, her direct deposit is in la-la land! We do not print paychecks here- we have a third party consultant firm that processes our payroll.

The last time I asked her about something like this she said we couldn't do anything until Monday... I know this isn't going to fly with the employee.

How would you handle this?

Comments

• I would first contact your third-party vendor to find out for sure what can be done. I've never dealt with a third-party vendor for manual checks, but I would think that they can cut an emergency check if need be. However, they may charge you additional fees to do so. You may want to check your service agreement with them. Be assertive in your request as this is a service you are paying them to do. Whether you can get the check cut today or not until Monday, you will then need to contact the employee to let her know when she can expect her check. It is unfortunate that this happened, but we are only human. Apologize and let her know that you are doing everything you can to get her check to her as soon as possible.
  • Janet10 wrote:
    I'd like to get feedback on how you would handle the following situation:

An employee cancelled her direct deposit last payroll. A note was sent to payroll to stop the direct deposit authorization effective with the next payroll. Unfortunately, it was overlooked and the direct deposit stayed in effect.
    How would you handle this?

Whenever the error is Payroll's fault, we move heaven and earth to make the employee whole. Does wonders to restore faith in Payroll even in the face of a glaring error. We would eat the cost to get the 3rd party to do a 1-check run and overnight or messenger it to the employee. You also have the possibility of calling the bank and appealing to them to move the money to the right account (you being the originator of the deposit, so in this case it might have to be your 3rd party again). That's worked for us on occasion, but only when the new account is at the same bank as the old.
  • We'd process a check through AP so the employee would have the money on payday and then work with the payroll vendor to get the money back.
  • Agree. If you don't already have a process/procedure to cut an emergency check, this points out the necessity to create one.