The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

APA Virtual Classes

I was curious if anyone has taken the APA Virtual classes – Payroll Practice Essentials and Intermediate Payroll Concepts. My intention is to request training from my employer to prepare for the CPP. Since the training is rather pricy, I would like to get the most bang for their buck. ;) From what I gather, PayTrain is a good resource that I don’t yet have. I do have the Payroll Source book. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
If it helps, I have 3 years of actual payroll experience, but ADP does our filing. I actually sit in the HR office and overhear HR related concepts but don't actually have much involvment. Prior to the payroll career, I was in IT for 7 years.

Thanks!

Comments

• You can take a look at irs.gov and study the copies of publications 15, 15a, 15b.

Payroll source should be read cover to cover. Complete all the tests after each chapter.

I really liked Pay Train. The version I used had several games and multiple tests that made the learning fun. I would go through Pay Train until you feel like you can answer the questions in your sleep.

Study hard, study often and best wishes on passing the exam.
  • This is helpful. Thanks for your input!
  • I received my PayTrain books today! I'm pretty geeked. Oddly, no one here gets it. :)