The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

CPP Certification

bedonaldbedonald ✭✭
I passed CPP exam last Sep and I haven't received my certification yet. Please advise how long certification will be mail to you after passing test.

Comments

• You need to follow-up with the APA. If I recall correctly once you take and pass the test you need to order the certificate yourself. I believe that's a recent change they just won't send you one.

Teresa
  • You need to follow-up with the APA. If I recall correctly once you take and pass the test you need to order the certificate yourself. I believe that's a recent change they just won't send you one.

Teresa

You're kidding, right? :shock: Don't get much for that fee, do ya? :x
  • I just recertified this year and they changed the certificates - if I wanted one I had to order it myself. There's no charge but you think they could just send it out.

To my amazement they are offering some webinars for free everyone once in awhile and occassionaly with credits. If I didn't work for an employer that supported my certification then I would either let my CPP lapse or take the test every 5 years. They've gotten way to expensive and all the credits have to be approved by the APA before they count now.

Teresa
  • I just recertified this year and they changed the certificates - if I wanted one I had to order it myself. There's no charge but you think they could just send it out.

To my amazement they are offering some webinars for free everyone once in awhile and occassionaly with credits. If I didn't work for an employer that supported my certification then I would either let my CPP lapse or take the test every 5 years. They've gotten way to expensive and all the credits have to be approved by the APA before they count now.

Teresa

Yeah, Teresa, I always just retook the test. And with the cost and the employment picture for me the last few years, I had to let mine lapse. I contacted them once about having a lifetime CPP after bring certified for XX years (mine was over 20 years), like SHRM does with the SPHR, and I got "we'll look into it", but never got any further response.
  • pattypa wrote:
    I contacted them once about having a lifetime CPP after bring certified for XX years (mine was over 20 years), like SHRM does with the SPHR, and I got "we'll look into it", but never got any further response.

What do you want to bet that they would price that last CPP exam at an even higher price than the regular one?! :shock:
  • Yeah, I let mine lapse too. It wasn't doing much for me and I didn't feel like giving them another couple hundred dollars.
  • David, as you know, I did too. In fact, didn't we "meet" on the ListServe?

I quit answering questions even while my membership was still in force, because I got tired of answering the same elementary payroll questions every darn week.
  • Perhaps I should have said I got tired of seeing basic payroll questions by people saying they've done payroll for years. :roll:
  • I agree with the comments here regarding the APA. I am up for recertification this fall, and probably will do it as my company pays the fees and I have the credits. But I don't think there would be any lessening of my "status" in payroll if I didn't have the ceritifcation.

I think the costs of the seminars and especially Congress are prohibitive for some payroll personnel. I have been asking to attend it for 10 years (my entire tenure at my current company) and have been turned down each year, because of the costs. Maybe if the APA cut back on the printed advertisements, inserts and emails for seminars, the costs would come down???? :lol:

As to the possible added value of being a CPP, I haven't seen that during my career and I have worked for several companies during the past 20+ years in payroll. The certification is more a personal goal and satisfaction to me. Actually in my current position, my BS degree in Accounting carried and is still carrying the weight.

Actually, I would rather see more companies consider the Payroll Department (even if that is only one person) as a "stand alone" department--not "reporting to either Finance or HR"--but rather reporting to the CFO. My belief is that until that happens--Payroll is just another nonrevenue generating overhead, step child.

Sorry to be on the soap box, but needed to vent! :(
  • I would definitely go for the recertification, especially in the instance one's company pays for the recertification. I also would have to do a "cost-benefit" analysis in the instance I worked for a company that did not pay for the recertification. My thought is that having the recertification may come in handy if one is required to seek employment elsewhere (regardless of whether the certification really means anything).

Cleveland Payroll Solutions