The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Brain Dead question of the day!

MNPayrollLadyMNPayrollLady ✭✭
edited December 2008 in Stupid Questions
I'm already having a bad day - my mind isn't working and my payroll source is in the office. :?

Does anyone one know the termiology when an employee works and the employer "pretends" not to be aware they are working in order not to pay the employee? I believe there's a term for it and as I said, I'm having a horrible morning.

Teresa

Comments

• Is this what you're looking for?

The FLSA's definition of "employ" is to "suffer or permit to work." This means that if the employer allows an employee to do work, the time spent working is compensable time and must be considered when calculating overtime due. This is true even if the employer does not ask the employee to do the work or in general forbids such work. Time spent working at home or at some other site away from the work site is also working time. Merely having a rule against unauthorized work is not enough. The rule must be consistently enforced (e.g. through disciplinary action) whenever possible.
  • That's it. For the life of me, I couldn't think of it.

Thanks a bunch!
  • That's it. For the life of me, I couldn't think of it.
    Yes - it is really hard for most of us to associate the word "suffer" with work.