The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Hey, Pat Haggerty

edited December 2008 in Stupid Questions
Didn't have anything to do last night, huh? :P :wink: :lol:

Comments

• He doesn't post often, but when he does he gets his money's worth! :)
  • Patrick HaggertyPatrick Haggerty ✭✭✭
    edited December 2008
    I usually don't visit "Stupid Questions" because I tell my students the only stupid question is the one that didn't get asked - which seems to me to be an oxymoron (the statement - not the person not asking the question - although that may well be the case) -- Is a question that does not get asked actually a question? If so, how would anyone know to write about it?

Anyway there is such a thing as a DAQ (Dumb Question - don't ask me what the "A" stands for - I don't know) -- but DAQ's are not really stupid questions because they often elicit unexpected answers that reveal a lot more than was being asked, but might actually be useful information.

Cops are paid to ask DAQ's, for example.

So I thought there would probably not be any posts in this board. Wow - was I wrong. I should have asked a DAQ -(What could possibly be in there and might it not be interesting?) a long time ago.
  • DAQ = Dumb A$$ Questions

Auditors ask them too.
  • ...Sox auditors ask them twice...
  • ...Sox auditors ask them twice...

Sometimes that is necessary - The first year I did income taxes (1976) I was working for H&R Block - and a lady sat down in front of me and said "This should be really simple, I don't have much, just the house and a little business". And then, in response to everyone of my questions, she said "I already told you...." but the more I asked, the more came out - Turns out that "don't have much" included a beauty shop, a couple of rental properties, itemized deductions, Oh - she was a minister and received some of the collections - did weddings, etc. - seems as though there were one or two other things as well. Anyway, it got really big really fast, but I had to keep asking "Did you have any income from..." and she would say, "I already told you that was all, but I do have...".

When I was done, she said "Now you are not going to charge me more than they told me over the phone are you?" My DAQ was "How much did they tell you over the phone?" She said, "You tell me how much you are going to charge me first and I will let you know." (Grin).

Anyway we reach agreement - after she left, the manager came over and told me the lady had told her that all she had was a little interest and a little business income, so the estimate was way understated. Anyway, everytime I asked a DAQ, more information came out - which led to more DAQs and more information - but I still was not sure she had given me all the information I needed - so we "flagged" the return - that is, we had a system for marking the return so that if it was audited, the regional manager would know that we were not sure the client had been honest with us and might save having to pay the client's penalty and interest if income was underreported or expenses were overstated.

I suspect the SOX auditors are doing the same thing.