The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

How long would you wait to get paid???

edited December 2008 in Stupid Questions
I guess one of my employees doesn't mind waiting 4 years!

I received this email message from one of our illustrious supervisors:

"One of my employees was going through the drawer where we keep our time sheets and found two of his that had never been submitted. They’re both from 2004. He’d like to know if we could still process these so he could get paid?"

And here I thought someone was insane to have waited roughly 6 or 7 months to be paid for hours worked. In January of this year, I had received a timesheet that had hours from the prior summer (2007).

Good times. Oh yeah.

Comments

• So, are you gonna? :D I'd do a heck of a lot of auditing first.

What's so funny about this is that it's so long ago, no DOL would even take a claim for unpaid wages.
  • I would suggest checking with the bank to see if they even have those records. They usually have to dig through the years to find it if they have it and they can tell you when it was cashed, who signed the check, and they may even have a copy of the check to send to you.

This check has stale dated and it should have eschewed to the state by now. If you have employees who have substantially stale dated checks you need to check your state's rules on stale dated checks/unclaimed wages.

Who in the heck can go without cashing their paychecks? These people must be independently wealthy or something.
  • Trecesa - I know the laws on uncashed paychecks (referred to as "Unclaimed Property" here in WA state). It's not relevant to this situation because a paycheck had not been issued for those hours because the timesheets had never been submitted 4 years ago.

Patty - Yes, after careful review and implementing some new procedures at that work location, we have paid the employee for those hours. :roll:
  • Patty - Yes, after careful review and implementing some new procedures at that work location, we have paid the employee for those hours. :roll:

Paid at the current pay rate or the rate he was making 4 years ago?
  • Why would it be anything but the rate he was making then? :shock:

Of course, you have to use the current year tax rates.
  • Trecesa - I know the laws on uncashed paychecks (referred to as "Unclaimed Property" here in WA state). It's not relevant to this situation because a paycheck had not been issued for those hours because the timesheets had never been submitted 4 years ago.

Patty - Yes, after careful review and implementing some new procedures at that work location, we have paid the employee for those hours. :roll:

LOL!! Too many years dealing with these kinds of questions has no doubt affected me. I guess I totally read over that these were timesheets and not paychecks.
  • I get pay every other week. My employer have my routing no.and acc., so I got direct deposit every other week. I check my bank account carefully after every other Fri. I move the 1/2 out immediately to dosome investment. Work hard for your employer, but don;t forget your right. :P by Tunjen Lin