The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Y should I pay SSN

edited February 2009 in Stupid Questions
Bush quoted (I cant recall when, but read it on the net) that
'the ssn will dry up by 2043'
In other words, the US govt will not be able to pay SSN after 2043.

Now my question is: Why should I contribute towards SSN, when I will not be able to reap the benefits. Infact I would be retiring around 2045.

Why should I pay ssn from my pay check when I will not get anything?

cutexing21

Comments

• You MUST pay it because the employer is required to withhold. You don't have a choice. If you're that concerned, start an IRA or other retirement savings program.
  • that does not answer my question
  • rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭
    Or start lobbying your US Congressmen to change the laws as written. Like the others state, you have no choice as the laws currently stand. The employee and employer are required to pay/withhold these taxes.

There are a lot of taxes we pay that we get no direct benefit from. For example, people who pay property taxes on their houses that fund the local school district but have no children in school. We pay taxes that go to building roads we will never drive on, etc.
  • What part of "you don't have a choice" didn't the OP understand? :shock:
  • rrupert wrote:
    Or start lobbying your US Congressmen to change the laws as written. Like the others state, you have no choice as the laws currently stand. The employee and employer are required to pay/withhold these taxes.

There are a lot of taxes we pay that we get no direct benefit from. For example, people who pay property taxes on their houses that fund the local school district but have no children in school. We pay taxes that go to building roads we will never drive on, etc.

Yes, I agree that we pay lot of taxes which we dont get benefit directly. But the govt does not say ' we will not be able to provide u roads after 2043'.. if they say, we can challenge that also.
    Or take for example the govt says pay us the property tax, but u cannot own the property in ur name... would not u challenge that??

Similarly all Iam contesting is y should we contribute towards SS when the govt says it cannot pay SS back after 2043.

None of you answered the question correctly. I know the implications of not paying (prision, etc etc). But Iam actually challenging the law itself.

Looks like everyone is just following the law without questioning it.
  • We did answer the question. If you are employed, the employer is required to withhold FICA/Medicare taxes from your pay. Period, end of story.

If you want to challenge the law, you lobby your congresspeople. Until/unless the law requiring contributions from pay is rescinded, it is what it is.
  • There are only two things you have to do in this world. Pay taxes and Die. :twisted:
  • None of you answered the question correctly.

OK, then, what IS the correct answer? :roll:

P.S. Good answer, digger, and so true.
  • I tuned out after the "Bush said" part :lol:
    There are way too many things Bush "doesn't know" TODAY let alone years from now.

Agreed with all the other posts --Employers are required to withhold EE portion and match it each pay period and send it on to the IRS! Period!

While you "may" or "may not" receive any benefit from it years down the road is a valid concern for the OP, it isn't something that gets changed via this payroll board. Go through the proper channels to voice your opinion to the Government.
  • OK, as long as you're happy. :roll:
  • Hey Paylady
    OK, then, what IS the correct answer?
    I too wondered why cutexing21 kept asking the question but knew that an answer "is not the correct answer".

Then I realized this is the "Stupid Questions" board and perhaps the correct answer is "That is a really stupid question".

Particularly because it is asking about the government not being able to pay SSN --- since when does the government pay the social security number? And how would it do that anyway?
  • too much coffee, Pat?? :lol:
  • too much coffee, Pat??
    Never touch the stuff - it tends to wake me up.
    I think it is more that it is final exam week - I have lots of grading to do, I have writing I have to do, and bills to pay - and I am bored and procrastinating.
  • Hey Paylady
    OK, then, what IS the correct answer?
    I too wondered why cutexing21 kept asking the question but knew that an answer "is not the correct answer".

Then I realized this is the "Stupid Questions" board and perhaps the correct answer is "That is a really stupid question".

Particularly because it is asking about the government not being able to pay SSN --- since when does the government pay the social security number? And how would it do that anyway?

LOL!! I too thought it was a trick question!