The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Giving out employer FEIN

Are we required to give people the FEIN when they ask for it? I know we can have them make the request in writing, but my boss doesn't want to give it out at all

Comments

• Nope, you aren't. The IRS had a notice on this just the other day (but of course, I can't find it now). What, they don't have last year's? :shock:
    [Deleted User]
  • I've never considered it a high risk number. I am more careful with my e-mail address then the EIN.

I've also have never heard it used for identity theft the way a social security number is.
  • I think what a lot of employees are trying to do right now is get a jump on their tax returns. What having the FEIN has to do with this I don't know.
  • karna68 wrote:
    I think what a lot of employees are trying to do right now is get a jump on their tax returns. What having the FEIN has to do with this I don't know.

Because they take their final pay stub, instead of a W2 to one of those rip off instant refund places. The stub lacks the FEIN number which is required to file taxes.
  • I was referring to employees calling from certain tax offices that allow them to file with just their last paystub. Doesn't seem really smart to me to allow that - who knows if their last paystub will exactly match their W-2? We book adjustments all the time after the last payroll to correct W-2's.

Maybe that's another way for these tax places to get more money from people - if the paystub doesn't match the W-2 then they can charge them for an amended 1040.....
  • I was referring to employees calling from certain tax offices that allow them to file with just their last paystub. Doesn't seem really smart to me to allow that - who knows if their last paystub will exactly match their W-2? We book adjustments all the time after the last payroll to correct W-2's.

Maybe that's another way for these tax places to get more money from people - if the paystub doesn't match the W-2 then they can charge them for an amended 1040.....

Its NOT smart. But people want their refund ASAP, and there are tax filing agencies that cater to those folks for a fee.
  • Patty -
    Can you give me sone hints on where I would find documentation on the fact that I don't have to give out the EIN over the phone?
    The tax preparers are adamant, and I'd love to have something to refer them to. (I've searched the internet and the IRS site with no luck)
    Thanks!
  • We never give the EIN over the phone or fax. We get tons of calls, from employees, tax preparers, attorneys, etc. We tell them it is our company policy to not give it out. They go away without too much fuss most of the time. We have a very high turnover so employees don't usually have a previous W-2 to look at.
    The W-2s will be mailed no later than January 31st, all 47,000 of them!!!
  • We never give the EIN over the phone or fax. We get tons of calls, from employees, tax preparers, attorneys, etc. We tell them it is our company policy to not give it out. They go away without too much fuss most of the time. We have a very high turnover so employees don't usually have a previous W-2 to look at.
    The W-2s will be mailed no later than January 31st, all 47,000 of them!!!

Any particular reason you don't give it out?
  • We started this practice when we went public last year, it was a directive from a senior VP/attorney. I never asked why.
  • One good reason to not give it out over the phone is Earned Income Credit Fraud. Another good reason is clogging up your system and tying up your people dealing with the phone requests. Anyone requesting an ID number for purposes of issuing an information return should probably request it in writing anyway so that they have documentation that they made the request. Such requests would probably go to accounts receivable or sales rather than payroll anyway.
  • wow this is old as dirt, but still comes up on google on top, sooo people still see it. Businesses can be sooo rude, i would quit if you didnt give me my the fein, it is also used to sign up for state medical coverage, and why should your employee tell you they are doing that, it really is none of your business what they do in their personal life, especially with their medical issues. And yah they can find it on the net, so i sure wouldnt waste time looking for laws i would use my time circumventing your rudeness, after that see if i could take up any legal issues about you denying me something i needed.

rrupert