The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Lost Paychecks

edited October 2007 in Let off some steam
One of our employees has lost her paycheck 3 times this year - she is paid weekly.
Unfortunately, we do not offer direct deposit for our weekly paid employees (long story - but its just the way it is).

First time happened in January, 2nd time in March, 3rd time 3 days ago: I had hand delivered the paycheck to her, the next day, seriously, she had lost it.

What do you do in these types of occurences?
Do you charge the employee for placing a stop payment on the check? (we are in California).
It drives me Crazy! How could you lose a paycheck?
:shock:

Chris Lindstrand, CPP

Comments

• I don't know what the "rules" are regarding charging for a stop payment on a lost check. I don't know if you can do that. What I would do is to tell her you could not reissue the check until after the stop payment was confirmed at the bank, I don't know how long those take. You might also force her to sign a waiver that says if the original check is cashed then she is liable to pay the company back. If there is a delay in getting a replacement check, or it becomes an inconvenience, it might be incentive to hold on to the one she got. But, you have to be consistent with policy, if you hold her to those terms, you have to hold others to them as well.

Of course, I don't know what CA state law says about situations like these....
  • What do you do in these types of occurences?

:twisted:

1. Pin the paycheck to her shirt.
    2. Drive her to the bank and force her to deposit or cash it.
    3. Stuff the check in a red envelope.

Seriously, can HR discipline her in any way?
  • David, I like that even better. :)
  • We do wait 7days before we will re-issue a payroll check. 9 times out of 10 that check shows up. If the employee has put it thru the wash (or whatever) and can bring in the tattered check we will re-issue that right a way. 8)

HP
  • What you have with this employee is a case of of its easier to ask for a replacement than to look for the check. I like the 10 day waiting rule to reissue a check. I usually grill them about where to they put their checks and where did you look for it. I make it harder to ask for a replacement than it is to look for the lost check.
  • I had one employee who was leaving the company so I had to rush to get his final check done (California - another rant!). Next day I get a call from him needing the check reissued because when he was at the bank depositing it, he accidentally kept the stub and threw away the check and the bank wouldn't let him go thru the trashcan to find it. *sigh* :roll:
  • If your company had a rule about a waiting period for replacement checks, I'd say that throwing their check away in a secured trash can is no reason for them to get special treatment.
  • Our check stock has "Void After 30 Days" printed on it. When someone calls complaining that they lost their check, we ask them to notify us in writing as to what happened. Then we wait the entire 30 days before reissuing the check to make sure the lost one doesn't magically reappear.

The one exception was the poor lady that brought in all the ripped up pieces of her check that she could dig out of the garbage. Apparently it had gotten mixed up with some junk mail, and she just ripped it up and threw it away right along with the junk mail. We did make an exception in that case, since it was obvious that the original check wasn't going to end up getting cashed.
  • HC wrote:
    Our check stock has "Void After 30 Days" printed on it. When someone calls complaining that they lost their check, we ask them to notify us in writing as to what happened. Then we wait the entire 30 days before reissuing the check to make sure the lost one doesn't magically reappear.

Well, first of all the "Void After 30 Days" doesn't really mean much. An employee could take such a check to the bank and they would have to negotiate it, at least if I remember my Banking class in college correctely.

Secondly, you may be able to get away with that in Ohio, as Ohio has very weak (if any) wage payment laws. You couldn't legally do that in many states; you'd be looking at an unpaid wage claim instead.
  • How about a general company policy that acting like an idiot is grounds for termination? There is not really any reason to believe that these folks are any smarter when (if) they are working.

Good grief, we'd be down to about 5 employees. Maybe. :twisted:
  • My favorites are the ones where people loose or file their checks and don't even realize it until we contact them about checks that haven't cleared our bank. I would notice a missing paycheck!

I even have a big red stamp "Live Check, Do Not Destroy" that I stamp on any check someone might even think was direct deposited (pre-note, final check, etc.). Employees joke about the stamp, but it does help, a little.
  • I have had employees take a direct deposit advice to the bank and try to negotiate it as a check. Maybe I should stamp it as DEAD ADVICE, PLEASE DESTROY.
  • I don't know about your's but ours said, in big bold letters "This is not a check" across the face of it and where there should have been a signature it said "Non Negotiable", but the check cashing place cashed it anyway.
  • Ours is on plain paper and doesn't even look like a check but that didn't stop our employee from taking it to the bank. However, the bank didn't cash it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file