The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

My W2 is wrong!

BeeBee
edited April 2007 in Stupid Questions
I just got off the phone trying to explain that the numbers that show up on your w2 are for what you were actually paid in 2006 not for the days you worked. It doesn't matter what our what our pay periods are. If you got a check in 2007 then it will show up on your w2 for 2007 and that is why YTD numbers on the check you received in Jan 2007 do not match the amounts on your 2006 W2! :roll:

Comments

• Lest we forget the 500 people who call every year because the W-2 does not match their gross pay, and the other 250 who call because it does not match their net pay.....
  • My favorite was the employee that sent me an email the morning I am processing payroll, demanding I provide a breakdown of her insurance premiums paid last year (yes they are pretax). The employee stated that she was too busy to log into the system to pull up her pay stubs, and if I could not help her, she would get her boss involved because she is too busy to keep track of this herself.

After explaining pretax deductions and where the total amount was on her W-2, I gave her the break down to get her out of my hair.

Two days later she came in asking why she was owing so much in taxes.

My first response was "because the IRS doesn't like people cheating on their taxes" followed by "try only claiming what you are supposed to"
  • I always say "I have no idea, I haven't seen your tax return, perhaps your tax preparer could explain your return to you".
  • Fnord wrote:
    My favorite was the employee that sent me an email the morning I am processing payroll, demanding I provide a breakdown of her insurance premiums paid last year (yes they are pretax). The employee stated that she was too busy to log into the system to pull up her pay stubs, and if I could not help her, she would get her boss involved because she is too busy to keep track of this herself.

After explaining pretax deductions and where the total amount was on her W-2, I gave her the break down to get her out of my hair.

Two days later she came in asking why she was owing so much in taxes.

My first response was "because the IRS doesn't like people cheating on their taxes" followed by "try only claiming what you are supposed to"

Must have been "Terrified". :twisted: :roll:
  • Must have been "Terrified".
    :shock:

:lol:

:twisted: :wink:
  • I'm really tired of explaining NY state taxes. If I get one more person who calls me and says, "My accountant told me to call you, my NYS wages show the whole year, and I only lived there for 6 months. He says it's wrong" I will scream.

If you REALLY have an accountant who works IN NY, then s/he should know that we have to report NYS wages = box 1 wages...

:x
  • WHY would an accountant READ W2 instructions? :shock:

Especially an accountant who was preparing a tax return for a client that lived in multiple states. :x
  • Indeed -

I got a call from a tax preparer who was doing the taxes for one of our employees who had moved between states during the year. Part of the year she had both states withheld, and then after she moved, there was only one state withheld. She absolutely could not comprehend why the total of the state wages were higher than the federal wages. She says "I do 500 returns every year and I've been doing it for 12 years". I responded that "hey I did 40,000 W-2s just this year alone, and I've been here for 7 years". She says "well then you would THINK you should LEARN how to do them RIGHT".....(DUHHHHH!)

I refused to do a W2c because our information was correct as reported, so she told me that she was going to file the employee's returns the "RIGHT" way (taking the difference between fed wages and state 1 wages to get state 2 wages). I said, "if you are going to file tax returns, you might want to look at multiple state reporting and learn how to do it right and that filing the returns that way would be filing a false tax return for her client. " She followed up by telling me she was going to report us to the IRS for falsifying W-2s. I had to say mean things to her and hang up, I couldn't help myself. Every year these tax preparers call with the same issues. It's really scary that people actually PAY them to do their taxes.

I think when the tax preparation companies (this was a well-known franchise operation) teach people to do taxes, they should include a course in common sense, and maybe teach them how to read a W-2 while they are at it......
  • acl1118acl1118 ✭✭✭
    My number one rule. . . I will not speak to an employee's accountant, CPA, tax preparer, mother, father or spouse. :twisted:
  • acl1118 wrote:
    My number one rule. . . I will not speak to an employee's accountant, CPA, tax preparer, mother, father or spouse. :twisted:

Or girfriend, boyfriend, or dog. :P
  • Or stepmother or stepfather :roll:

or the cat .... :evil:
  • I once spoke to a cat about a W-2 and I got the old "deer in the headlights" thing, go figure....
  • That's funny, I get that same response from the employees.....At least the cat didn't argue back tho - or did he?
  • kimberlyc wrote:
    That's funny, I get that same response from the employees.....At least the cat didn't argue back tho - or did he?

Of course not. He just rolled over and went back to sleep. :lol: