The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

I hate it when...

I am walking from one place to another, and from out of no where, an an employee will grab me.

Chris! What is my anniversary date?

My response: Do you think I have that information memorized?
:o
I mean, really. Come on!

Maybe if we had 5 employees only, then it would be easier to remember...

Comments

• acl1118acl1118 ✭✭✭
    That is like the employee who calls you and leaves a message:
    Hi, this is Joe, I have a question about my taxes on my check. Please call me."
    No last name, ss#, return phone number. We only have 50K employees.
    Think he every got a call back?
  • Dont forget your customer service skills :lol:
  • acl1118acl1118 ✭✭✭
    The thing is employees out in the field are not suppose to call me directly.
    All questions and concerns are to be directed to Payroll Dept. personnel. If they cannot address the employees issue they will come to me for advise or assistance. Once I give them an answer or solution to the problem they will be back to the employee.
    Somewhere along the line someone has slipped and given out my name.
    When I do get these calls, directly from employees, I do put on my best customer service cap and address all there questions/concerns.
  • The same employee calls me every other month to inquire how much vacation time she has left. Each time I've told her that the information prints on the bottom of her pay check stub. You would think she'd look there first. :roll:
  • Paylady, you expect employees to look at those pieces of paper we provide them. Seems that it never happens here. :x

I get the same sorts of questions or then there is the enevitable requests for a reprint of a stub from last week cause they threw it away but now need it for loan, unemployment, garnishments etc.

Man I hate those requests.
  • I had a similar situation and I told the employee to please send me an e-mail and I would respond with her answer, I didn't know it then. She replied "But it is your job to know these things." I responded, "No, it is my job to write it down."
  • I am walking from one place to another, and from out of no where, an an employee will grab me.

Chris! What is my anniversary date?

My response: Do you think I have that information memorized?
    Here's another good response: "Hmm, I don't remember but I know your termination date. Would that help?" :lol:
  • Paylady you said
    "The same employee calls me every other month to inquire how much vacation time she has left. Each time I've told her that the information prints on the bottom of her pay check stub. You would think she'd look there first"

I hear you on this but i can't tell you how many people have said something was wrong on there check and now it is 6 months or more down the road. most people don't even look at there name and address on there check till close to tax time and there W2's are incorrect.
  • I may have posted this before, but one of my favorite W-2 calls was:

EE: My W-2 is wrong.
    ME: What do you feel about it is incorrect?
    EE: I couldn't possibly have made that much money
    ME: Well, your W-2 reflects your taxable wages, not your net pay. :shock:
  • Just for fun I would have responded.....

"Anniversary Date? I did not even know you were married, Congratulations!"
  • I agree folks stopping me in the hall to ask me a question about their pay.

I'd like to answer, "I don't have my computer with me"

A bigger issue is someone handing in their timesheet four days late, then going nuts, including calling all the higher ups, when they don't get paid on time.
  • I can respond to Two similar situations:

1. When I started here no one turned in their time sheets on time-EVER. My boss would make me print out manual checks ALL the time-every day of the week. Some times I would have the employee standing right at my desk waiting, and it would make me so nervous (did I do all the deductions correctly?, etc.) I was crabby all the time and said we must have a strict poicy and make the employee understand that! He said, well-we do not want them to quit on us or get them upset! So, basically they got to walk all over me and hand time sheets in whenever they pleased because they knew they would get paid. BUT-some of them were to ill-brained to realize they were being paid a "live" check and it was NOT direct deposit!! I would get the calls about that and be like, duh! you have to bring it to the bank and deposit it!

And yes, #2.
    I used to get stopped constantly AFTER I punched out for lunch. Employees would get angry with me when I said-I punched out! I will answer your questions when I get back. My boss was notorious about stopping me when I punched out to go home for the day! I would tell him-I am leaving, I punched out! He would always say, just 5 minutes which would end up being a half hour literally. The last time he did that to me I got really red in the face and said-one minute-I am going to go punch back in unless you want to pay me a little more and make me a salary employee! He never stopped me again.
  • Be careful what you wish for.

Become salaried, and the next thing you know you'll be responsable for things you never DREAMED you would ever be.
  • tell them to ask their "Other half"