The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Garnishments

LMCLMC
edited May 2008 in Stupid Questions
My all time favorite is when an EE calls wondering who they are being charge child support for... You don't know you have a child or children????? :shock: :?

Comments

• I personally think the Courts should mandate an individual being "fixed" if they have more than a certain number of child support orders from different mothers...

We had an employee that had 4 with 4 different people - perfect example of someone needing some fixing...

:lol:
  • sweetpea, that's nothing!

I have an employee with 8 orders with 8 different women!!!! :shock:

He, of course, claims that none of the children are his...
  • Wow! He sounds like someone that should be on Maury for those paternity test shows... ;)
  • rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭
    I can beat that record. I am going through old employee files and just found orders for 11 children in 8 years with none of them being multiples. I didn't look into the mothers but by the birthdates, there had to be at least 3! And that doesn't even count any current children that don't have CSOs!

rr
  • My all time favorite was the fellow who had two orders for two different children that were born two months apart. To top it off, both children were named after him.... Same company- a guy had six kids with four different baby mama's. It makes it easier for me as a single woman to decide who I DON'T want to date.....
  • At least the employee is sticking around. I was at one company that 75% of our employees with a new garnishment would leave within 2 weeks of the deduction starting. The managers were always wanting me to stall the enforcement. Sorry, I am upholding a court order regardless of what it does to turnover!
  • HRGirl wrote:
    sweetpea, that's nothing!

I have an employee with 8 orders with 8 different women!!!! :shock:

He, of course, claims that none of the children are his...

that beats our best... 7 orders, 6 different mothers.

I personally find great joy when they call and yell at me about how much we're taking out, as if it's a suprise... I mean, weren't you AT the hearing where the amount was determined?
  • Where I use to work I overheard the garnishment administrator having a conversation with someone who apparently was one of two baby mamas for this one employee. She was angry because she had heard from somewhere that the other baby mama was getting more child support than she was and she wanted us to take more out of his check and give it to her. Of course our garn person replied that she couldn't give out any information on the employee, and if she had an issue she would need to take it to court and get a court order. This, of course made baby mama #2 even more angry......
  • Question for any one: I have received many child support orders for employees that do the same thing one peron mentioned on this board: They disappear after like 3-4 months. THEN we get the child support orders and we have to say they do not work here any longer. Does the child support agency ever catch up to these men? Like some of you, we had a man with 4 different child support orders come in after he quit, and we knew he was already married to some one else with two new borns-it makes me so angry.
  • The New Hire reporting requirement helps. Some of them just go underground though. :x
  • New hire reporting helps a lot.

I also have to say that while I have encountered the disapearing acts, I have also had those very rare employees that on day of hire they bring a copy of the child support order with them and get upset that I cannot begin withholding immediatly but must wait for the order with our company name.
  • melissap wrote:
    New hire reporting helps a lot.

I have also had those very rare employees that on day of hire they bring a copy of the child support order with them and get upset that I cannot begin withholding immediatly but must wait for the order with our company name.

Do you really? Are you positive? Not questioning you necessarily, but I thought the employer could begin withholding immediately upon notification by the employee, with a copy of the order.
  • If the employee brings a copy of the order in, we'll start right away. Granted it's very rare...

Usually I'll call the agency and let them know that the person is now working for us, and that we'll begin withholding based on a previous order.
  • Why don't we just counsel Bob? :P :roll:
  • David, it was my understanding that all child support orders carry the same priority.

For example, Bob has a child support order from ex1, Karen for $150.00 / week.

Bob has another support order for ex2, Joyce for $300.00 / week.

Bob lives in a state that will allow a total of 50% of disposable income for child support, and he is not in arrears or supporting another family.

The total he owes is $450.00 / week.

His disposable income for this week is $700.00. Meaning we can only hold $350.00.

Joyce gets $234.50 (67% of disposable)
    Karen gets $115.50 (33% of disposable)

The split is based on the % of the total support owing for each order.

This came from both OUR legal department, AND our service provider...