The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

FPC Exam

I'm schedule for the FPC exam on September 20, 2018 and I'm using PayTrain for studying. Any advise?

Comments

• Paytrain is very good at focusing on your weaker subject matter. Good luck and let us know how you do.

• Pay Train is actually the electronic study guide for the CPP exam, which is one level higher then the FPC credential, If you can do well with Pay Train you should be good for the FPC. And agreed with the last answer, use Pay Train to identify your weak spots. Also, FPC is a payroll staff credential. CPP is a payroll manager credential. Since Pay Train is directed at CPP, not everything Pay Train identifies is a problem for the FPC exam. Focus on areas you are likely to use on the job. The last time I used Pay Train they had some rather odd management related questions not really related to payroll, and which had no objectively correct answer. On the other hand, if the question is mainstream payroll, it is a big deal to learn it. When are tax deposits due? How does 401(K) differ from Section 125 pre-tax? What if your refund crosses quarters/years? Those are the sort of questions FPC wants you to know, not what ever management theory is being pushed this year.

Also you do not need a perfect score. Concentrate on stuff you will actually use on the job. I know the rules on FICA changed in maybe 1986 for governmental agencies but I do not know the specifics. I do not care about the specifics because I have never done a job where I needed to.

• payrolluserpayrolluser ✭✭
    edited October 12

Just passed FPC last week, first try. 150 questions, 3 hour time limit, and I had to use every minute of it. However, I was severely under-prepared. If I had studied for 30 hours' I believe I should have been fine. For me, it was a bear, and staring at the screen and all the stress gave me a headache.

You need an 80% to pass, or get 120 questions correct (although they have questions they don't count for research or something). There were some super easy questions, assuming you've done payroll for a while. But the questions are weighted, so getting the easy ones correct are worth less than the ones where you have to manually calculate a net check.

For the CPP I'm going to have to study way more - it's 190 questions in 4 hours. I'm estimating 80-120 hours should be good, plus cramming the 2 weeks before the exam.

Used "The Practical CPP Study Guide" to study exclusively.