The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

10 employees payslips errors out of 1623 employees, is this acceptable using Excel

Greetings all,
Am managing at the moment 1623 workers payroll with microsoft excel, recently my manager identified 10 employees whose payslips had some errors. In being objective, can anyone be kind to offer advice, though am hoping to finding the source to forestall any future occurrence, should this rate of errors be unacceptable as my boss is saying.?

Comments

• @David Warren Sure, but we do not use a Payroll software. So i have to use Excel for everything. I have designed the payslips with Excel, and everything from attendance to overtime and salary transfers all with Excel. But for the standards, 10 out of 1623 is it soo damning as my boss makes me feel.

• rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭

In this day and age, I would strongly question why you are doing payroll via Excel unless it is the most simple payroll ever. Just for data storage and retrieval purposes alone, that sounds like a nightmare. Especially for 1623 employees. Just too many chances for data errors and things that you might not even think to check, like David stated. I had Excel backup payroll calculations for all of our businesses at my last job where I was responsible for payroll, but I can't imagine for that many employees and not having a payroll system to compare it to - one that someone else is responsible to update (Btw, have you even looked at the 2019 W-4 yet? That's going to be interesting...why re-write what a payroll software has already done?)

otchere
  • rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭

don't disagree - I just know I found many more errors in my handmade payroll worksheets and inputs (that I used to compare to the payroll software) than I ever did in the software calculations themselves. I found it too easy to overwrite a specific cell without sometimes even realizing it.... I loved the spreadsheets as a double check since I didn't really have anyone else reviewing me at the time (or at least not until the employee saw the live pay!) and my payrolls were pretty simple calculations at the time. I could actually have done each in Excel without needing software....but it meant changing the programming as laws/taxes and other things changed. Something my payroll provider does automatically....

Of course that also means someone has systematically setup the payroll correctly originally and for any ongoing changes and that the software provider is dealing with the hard stuff (taxes, deductions, calculations, etc) behind the scenes...

• jadegurljadegurl ✭✭✭

I'm a little late for this but before we switched to a hand scanner/time clock we used to use an old fashioned time clock/timecard system. Each manager would review the timecards and input the hours onto the excel sheets for payroll and then forward the cards to us for our records. My payroll is only half of your size and I am cringing at the thought of having to run payroll that way now.(we made the switch in 2009)
    Find out the source of the errors to avoid a repeat but do your research to convert to automated timekeeping. It can prevent a whole host of problems as well as make your life a whole lot easier.

otchererrupert
  • Thanks folks, your comments/advises are greatly noted. After going through some of them, though i have not finished, i realized it could be links in the master file which pulls data to and from the other files. Because some of them had an amount(net) on the master file which was different from what is on the payslip. But corresponds with the correct calculations an employee worked for and paid.

Am also realizing that timing could play a role, i have been the only one managing the payroll, entering manually all attendance, overtimes, deductions, processing and recording transactions, and sending payment files, etc. Reviewing payslips is very daunting as i am unable to finish, takes days. Recently a new person has been employed who will assist, but the lack of experience is still putting all task on me.

Is there an easy way or anything or process or trick that can help?
    But i suggested to my boss that we should consider a Payroll software, my suggestions rather seemed that i am finding an escape, and that it rather showed perhaps am unable to do the job, so i had to be quiet, but anyway i have been doing that for 2 years.