The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Employer W4 mistake

So my employer didn’t put in the correct number of dependents which was supposed to be 4 nor did they put me down as married. They put 0 on everything so I got taxed almost a thousand dollars my original w4 says 4 dependants and married. Can they pay me or what can I do?


  • rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭

    how many pay periods has this been happening? they are more likely to help correct it if it was found quickly. Otherwise, like David said, you bear some responsibility. But realize anything over-deducted will be refunded to you at the end of the tax year when you do your personal income taxes if the employer decides not to correct it now.

    Employers are required to hold at Single 0 (Default as David says) for any employee that they don't receive a valid W-4 form for.... are you sure your original W-4 was valid (included all information and a signature and a date)? Did you fill out a paper form or was it electronic? Did you get any kind of verification or keep a copy? Also employers have up to 30 days to process a W-4 so if this was your first paycheck it may be that the system defaults to S0 and your W-4 just didn't get entered in time for the first payroll.

Sign In or Register to comment.