The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Separation of Payroll Processing and Time Sheet Administration

Hi,
I am looking to see what most of you do with regard to who you allow access to the electronic timekeeping systems. Does your company allow your payroll team to make adjustments to time sheets or do you separate the duties? If you separate the duties, who do you have responsible for verifying the time sheets and exporting the hours for payroll?

It has been my experience in my 20 + years, that the Payroll Department was responsible to monitor time sheets prior to processing payroll. Managers were responsible for day to day adjustments, e.g adding missing punches, entered absence codes etc. Payroll was responsible to review the time sheets and look for oddities such as 24 hours of pay in one day, verifying that managers approved the time cards, making sure absence time was entered etc ., prior to finalizing and exporting the hours for payroll. Payroll would reach out to the managers if there were things that needed clarification or adjustments. However, Payroll also had the ability to make adjustments to time sheets (with proper back up documentation of course).

Please tell me what you do?

Thank you,
Lori A.

Comments

• rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭

@larvonio said:

... Managers were responsible for day to day adjustments, e.g adding missing punches, entered absence codes etc. Payroll was responsible to review the time sheets and look for oddities such as 24 hours of pay in one day, verifying that managers approved the time cards, making sure absence time was entered etc ., prior to finalizing and exporting the hours for payroll. Payroll would reach out to the managers if there were things that needed clarification or adjustments. However, Payroll also had the ability to make adjustments to time sheets (with proper back up documentation of course).

Please tell me what you do?

This is how I handled it when doing both HR and payroll. I pushed it back to the managers as much as I could, because I agree with David that the person making the change should be the one able to defend WHY the change was made. I also required a comment/note and some managers required the employee to sign off on the time edit.

Many of our 24 hour ones were because employees forgot to clock out and then had to clock out prior to clocking back in the next shift. Annoyed payroll when the managers failed to catch it! To me, in the end the managers were the first obstacle to wrong time and payroll was the second - and it had to be pretty obvious for payroll to catch it!