The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

HOW TO TRANSMIT ACH FILE TO BANK WEB PORTAL

Please is their anybody in the house that can give me a guideline on how to get the bank portal for the ACH text file to be uploaded

Comments

• It has been maybe 20 years since I have done this, but we had Oracle AP make a check run in an ACH format, then called up the bank via modem. The Oracle format was not a big deal. If I remember right it was just a 80 character ANSI text file with a fixed name and the modem connection and sending the file was not a big deal. Your bank should be able to help you a lot (ours did).

• It has been a very long time since I have seen a payroll program that could not do this pretty automatically.

• Contact your bank for instructions on operating their system. You wil likely have to pester them to get to the right person.

• Yes, each bank is going to have a different portal/system (btw Chase's is TERRIBLE)..... But only your bank is going to be able to tell you how and get you setup.

• When I implemented Oracle AP on direct deposit in 1990s, Bank of America sent 3 people over for a meeting (two suits, plus one tech guy who knew what he was doing). They had very useful paperwork they left, and a useful phone number (just in case). Very easy in the 1990s. We used modems back then. Sent them an ASCII text file (80 charactor, ANSI format), one line per payment, plus a summary line. We modemed them an hour later and would get a result file, with status including errors (if any). I have no idea why the suits were in the meeting. Looking for sales opportunities probably. I suspect the same file is sent via the Internet these days.

I have not used a payroll system where this was very automatic since 1985.

• thanks everyone ...will contact my bank for the setup.....i was thinking maybe there could be anyway of transmitting without calling bank either by software or any web portal for it.....really appreciate everyone response

• Your bank will likely have no one who is willing or able to help - at least not without taking a hard line in demanding assistance. Most banks would rather lose you or steer you to their "own" payroll product (for commissions) than actually help you do what you want to do. The exceptions usually are the local.regional type banks, where a knowledgeable person is actually also at a branch, or if you generate enough income via your balances or services, enough they do not want to lose you.

If you prefer to handle ACH yourself, such as via a file you or your software creates, you can also consider using a third party processor (google search for them) which will take your file and drop it for you. The third party may be more expensive than your bank, but may be worth it. Some will also offer other online services, such as online W@ access for employees, and certain filings.

• Your bank is a member of the Automated Clearing House (ACH). The payroll processor is not. It is not possible to do an ACH payment that does not go through an ACH member. Now I have used ADP and they certainly did all the grunt work, but the also had forms we had to sign which went to OUR bank. OUR bank is not going to send OUR money anywhere unless we tell them to do it. And if the payment fails, and this sometimes happens, you really need YOUR bank to tell you. I love direct deposit, but employees change banks without telling anyone and banks sometimes get bought or go under. At my last employer something like 0.2% of ACH transactions failed to process. And the bank told us, not ADP when this happened. We had a "banking status page" my payroll people checked several times a day which covered a lot more things then failed ACH payments. But pretty much anything the bank considered to be an exception required someone on my staff to do something. As far as ADP was concerned, once we pulled the crank and they processed the file, they were out of it.

Why not at least talk to your bank and see what they say. This should cost nothing. And if we are talking payroll, the program or service should support ACH payments. AP not so much for some reason. I have done ACH with three different banks and it was never anything but easy.

rrupert
  • It is definitely easier to Put money into accounts via ACH than to withdraw it (that's my experience with processing monthly gym payments from members anyway). You have to do things like put a specific $ amount down for a bond, etc. But we've not had to do that for payroll ACH transfers IN.

• The problem with "recalling" funds is there is now a second ACH member involved (the employee's bank) and ACH rules explicitly state that the originating bank can "request" the return of funds but the receiving bank is not required to honor the request. Sometimes the employee has spent the money. Sometimes the other bank are just being d*cks. Nothing automatic about a recall of a direct deposit. It is not remotely the same thing as a stop payment. Unlike checks, ACH sends the money out almost immediately. Of course stop payments are not as automatic as people like to think they are. "Holder in due course" exception and that sort of thing.

The ACH is not the government. They are a private "good old boys" club run by banks whose rules are written to protect banks from their customers. That being said, direct deposit is vastly superior to paper checks sent via U S mail, which has a much higher loss/fraud rate.

But lets be clear. Unless the government explicitly says otherwise, banks are never out of pocket if something go wrong. Even if they were ones who sc**wed up.