The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Overtime

I am looking for some statistics. We pay overtime based on all hours paid (not hours worked) over 40 for the week. Therefore, if an employee works Monday - Thursday and has a vacation day (or holiday, sick day, bereavement etc.) on Friday and then works Saturday, we will pay 8 hours as overtime. We have been paying this way for 30+ years.

I know that most companies do not pay this way. We are considering a change, however, I need to provide statistical data that will indicate the percentage of companies that use 'worked hours' instead of 'paid hours' for determining overtime. Is there any such data available? I have not been able to find any.

[Deleted User]

Comments

• rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭

I have to agree with David. I very rarely see it and usually it is because the employer misunderstands the OT laws, not that they have made a conscious choice to pay this way. Most do exactly what they have to and no more and no less like he also said.

I suspect you will have a lot less employees willing to work that extra Saturday though!

• Per the FLSA, overtime is based on hours "worked".

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm

• pfdtxpfdtx ✭✭

Our company is a hybrid when it comes to counting "time off" as time worked. We consider company holidays as time worked, but all other paid absences are not. I agree with the others in the thread that employers should stick to the requirements only.