The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Out of State Garnishments

I'm hoping someone can shed some light, we are a business only in WI, we received a garnishment from TN, ordered out of TN. Based on what I found on the Payroll Source "An employer served with an out-of-stat creditor garnishment for an ee, is not required to obey the order unless: 1) the order has been registered with a court in the state where the ee works; or 2) the employer does business in the state that issued the original garn. While an er would have to obey an out-of-state garn under either of these circumstances, the law of the employee's work state would generally be applied to determine the limits on the garns, deadlines for withholding and remitting payments." This tells me I need to apply WI garn laws to this TN garnishment correct? What the issue is is that the ee already has one in place and WI law only allows one at a time. Help please?