The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Electronic W-2 forms

I was in such a rush with W-2 forms last year due to a new software package, I overlooked the fact that what is provided in the self service module by our vendor is only Copy C.

I had reread IRS pub 1141 (071717, Bulletin 2017-29) saw Section 2.3.01 Note. Which states "Payee statements (Copies B, C, and 2 of Form W-2) may be furnished electronically if employees give their consent (as described in Treasury Regulations Section 31.6051-1(j)). See also Publication 15-A, Employer’s Supplemental Tax Guide."

31.6051-1(j) Doesn't appear to have any directions on furnishing only Copy C when consent is given for electronic issuance. Additionally Tax Topic 752 states "You must furnish Copies B, C, and 2 of Form W-2".

Of course they can print as many times as they like. And yes, we are following the exact rules for wording on the Opt In for electronic. Should I send paper forms anyway?

[Deleted User]

Comments

• Has the vendor indicated why they only provide copy C and given any backup for it? can your vendor note that they should print multiple copies for B C and 2 purposes? Since they are exactly the same beyond who would need each copy, I would start there personally. If employees called and requested all three, I would send them all three by paper but only for those that requested it outside printing on the self service module.