The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Child support

We will be acquiring a company next week. We will be hiring all the employees under our FEIN. The old company will pay the employees final semimonthly pay. When we issue the employees their first check under our ID it will be for one week since we are acquiring them in the middle of a biweekly cycle. While I can obtain the child support orders from the former company, I will not have enough time to set them up and take a prorated (weekly) amount. Is there a grace period since we are their new employer? Where can I find this information? Orders are for NE, VR, AZ.
Thank you for any replies.


  • rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

    Generally I have found that you will need to "new hire" them into your state's system which will generate a new order. The old company being acquired should let the state(s) know that the person has been terminated and possibly will tell them of the new employer if asked. This may get the revised order to you sooner.

    But I am in TX only. Other states may differ.

    You might ask for a copy from the old company and see what they state about acquiring employers. Just to be safe.

  • Agree with rrupert that the orders would need to be re-served to your company as a result of the new hire reporting system. We are in around 30 states and went through something similar a few years ago.

    If you are able to get the orders from the old company you could call the agencies and advise them that you are the new employer which would expedite the process and have them send you the orders sooner rather than later so the employee/s don't get too far behind.

Sign In or Register to comment.