The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

It's my day off

So recently, a Supervisor who works from home, was called at home on their day off, just to inform them of a situation regarding one of their employee's.
The response they gave to HR was, 'It's my day off call me tomorrow.'
They repeated this mantra 3 times during the course of the conversation.

Do you think this is Ok? or is this a definite no?

[Deleted User]

Comments

• I think that it is ok to ask that the issue is handled the next day as long as they are professional and polite in their request.

I'm sure there are also a number of exceptions to the rule if the issue is an emergency and will have longer term consequences if not handled immediately. Like most situations in payroll, "It depends."

[Deleted User]rrupert
  • This counts as time worked for the supervisor and the supervisor may be entitled to additional compensation. Please note I said "may be".

@David - I can almost picture you in that HR department - but good for you. It is not just a chain of command issue - but an internal control issue - why would HR assume that the employee would have access to the information while at home? IF the employee did have access, there might be a data security issue. In any event, the employee would be considered working while in contact with the vendor and based on the description you gave, this is likely an non-exempt employee and would be entitled to additional compensation.

zach
  • I think a perfectly reasonable response is "can this be handled when I return to the office on x date?" I am HR and I tell all my supervisor/managers that they can definitely suspend any employee while I am out on vacation (which is rare that it is more than a day or two at a time).
    Pretty much the only reason to call me is that there is a WC claim OR the place is literally burning down. I can't imagine calling others while they are out for any small reasons that could be handled the next day the person is working.

That said, did HR know this person was not working that day?

zach[Deleted User]
  • Just to clarify - This person works out of their home and never reports to an office.

Also, HR was not asking the employee to actually do anything, they were just being advised of a situation with someone that reports to them who also works out of their home in a different state. HR wanted to advise them so they would not be caught unaware.

• I do work from home and only go to the corporate office 4 times a year. Personally in this case, if it was not an emergency, I would have expected to be emailed, not called, if I didn't need to know prior to returning to work. But I tend to check email even on days off because I know stuff like this can popup.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file