The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

What was your biggest struggle with ACA

What were your biggest struggles when dealing with the ACA?

[Deleted User]jordan

Comments

• No matter the scenario, the biggest struggle is when I hear "but we have always done it that way".

For ACA, it is still those simply trying to direct pay for multiple employees with no ACA compliant plan, and S Corp who think they can pay their 2% owners health care directly when there is more than one of them.

jordan
  • It sounds like lack of education of all the nitty-gritty details is a big issue - whether the response is "we've always done it that way" (@d26k ) or "I saw this on CNN..." (@David Warren ).

• I would also say it is lack of common sense and critical thinking. When you contact someone who is an expert, and that person says what you are doing is not correct, it does not matter if your (fill in anything here) said you can do it, you now have two conflicting pieces of advice, which should raise your personal alarm sensor. I always add the caveat they can revisit the scenario with their (fill in anything here), and if that other party will back their opinion with an E&O certificate, a written guarantee of no financial harm including all penalties, interest, defense costs, and fix it costs including reimbursement for all time spent defending/fixing, then possibly consider it. Have to temper that caveat that taking a position with no "cost" to you can still cause reputation issues, so one still has to have common sense and critical thinking skills, so it will always be a Catch-22 (see first sentence).

• Since we are a small employer, I have to consistently count hours/employees to make sure we aren't near the 50 average (we are usually in the high 30's/low 40s) since we have a lot of part-time people.

But I do agree that there seems to be so much misinformation out there -- and it's no wonder since the actual law itself is so complex as are the regulations written. Right now we are still lucky enough to be a grandfathered plan so our rates have stayed lower than if we were on a true ACA plan. Every year I pray either the gov't or our carried dont' take away the current plan!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file