The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Are you managing payroll for a lot of people?

How do you keep up reporting absenteeism? I imagine it may get hard if you have a lot of people and it's flu or cold season, etc. What do you do?

Antonio

Comments

• rrupertrrupert ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

At our two locations with timeclocks, I ask the managers to input when the employee has missed work and why as a time edit. It shows up at .01 of an hour if they do it correctly and shows who edited it. Our software allows us to pull time between any two dates so it is the best way we have found to capture it. So I can pull that report on any single (or group of) employee(s) and get a good idea on how much time was missed by a specific person or during a specific time frame.

We've tried pretty much every paper method and every time management changes, we lose it and the data and have to start over with no history on absenteeism/tardiness. At least this way it says in the timekeeping system historically. We don't really have an HRIS system beyond payroll and that timekeeping system.

[Deleted User]Antonio
  • This is a good question, managing payroll it is a not difficult process. It is easy to maintain time and money as compared to the paper method because paperwork is difficult to maintain the data.

• I have generally had both AP and PR report to me. I generally overstaffed PR and understaffed AP. All my PR staffers were former AP people I promoted and trained into PR. Fewer bad habits to train out of and less time wasted listening to how they did things on their former job (I do not care. I want them to do thing my way NOW). And I often did some PR (and some AP myself to keep my hand in the game). And I would use temps if need be. Long term absence of staff or heavy workload due to projects where considered acceptable reasons by management as was elimination of paid overtime. The key is to keep your management in the loop, and not surprise them. One year I had one of the other accounting managers complain to me that this was the second year in a row I had gotten a new staffing position, while she got nothing. That was because I spent the whole year making very sure management know I had staffing issues and these were costing the company money. I got overtime down to pretty much zero, and moved most of the AP/PR accounting over to my group where we were using cheap clerks instead of more expensive baby accountants who did not know what they were doing. It also did not hurt that my predecessor had been fired because things had gotten so bad, and I got every identified problem, plus a few others cleared up. They wanted things fixed NOW and that sometimes costs money. But they wanted clear formally justification for anything I asked for, not just me whining.

Example. We had just been hammered in an IRS audit, big money and very embarrassing. And my predecessor being fired and PR taken from HR. We had almost no W-9s (5,000 vendors). I wanted one on file for all vendors and I did not want AP staff chasing their tails over this for several months. Management OKd a temp for 6 weeks for a clearly identified one time project with known serious risks if we failed to complete it. AP was restructured so we had a junior position that I could easily slot a temp into (or new hire), and I had my senior people no longer doing grunt work. I rotated staff periodically, and trained, trained, trained. No one had the same tasks for more then 6 months. And if I had a PR opening, it generally went to my most senior AP person (who became the junior PR person). Management was made very clear about this strategy. No surprises. HR of course threw fits because they still wanted to make all the decisions. They just did not want to be responsible for the results of their decisions.