The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Live check mailman

edited October 2013 in Stupid Questions
I worked for a company with 1000+ employees. We had 6 people who could not let go of the dark ages and needed their live check. One day while picking up his check, an employee saw the small stack of checks on my desk and asked, "If we all switch to direct deposit, would you still have a job?"

Because the only part of our job involves handing out live checks :lol: ...That question left me scratching my head!

Comments

• Because the only part of our job involves handing out live checks
    Well - what else is there for you to do - the computer takes care of all the rest - right? :roll:

You know, though - I'm surprised they don't want to have the checks mailed so that the Postal Service can stay in business.

What you can tell him is that there are still several hundred people who get paid in cash and you have to put exact change into each of the pay envelopes. Those don't sit on your desk because you have to keep them in the vault until they are picked up. :wink:
  • What you can tell him is that there are still several hundred people who get paid in cash and you have to put exact change into each of the pay envelopes.

you joke, but I have a friend who processes a weekly, cash payroll. They print stubs and then put cash in envelopes for their employees. There is a line to pick up pay each Thursday... I SO don't envy that one.
  • What business pays in cash? That seems insane!!
  • Actually, a number of businesses do - and I know some people who were paid cash - mostly under the table - and now that they are retirement age, wonder why they don't have enough credited service to collect SS.

There are people out there who don't trust computers, and possibly don't trust banks (imagine that), and don't want any electronic trail.
  • Grocery stores used to do this a lot. Employees would go the the service desk with a voucher and be paid in cash. No worries about others finding out how much they made as they all belonged to the same union!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file