The information posted on PayrollTalk is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining accounting, payroll, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

1-9 Question

I have a manager that listed a new hire's passport under List A on the I-9 and also listed his DOT license under List B. Since the ID from List B is not needed - should it not even be listed, or does it not matter?

Comments

• Doesn't matter that I know of....I wouldn't redo the I-9 just for that -- I'd probably just cross out the unneeded information. And then remind the manager of the correct way to have it filled out.

There is more an issue with incomplete information than with extra information.

• Not the question but the big thing is having an I-9 with no obvious missing required fields for every active employee. The key is if you are audited you want the auditors to never come back from lunch. At least once a year, bring a temp in and make sure that you have a "valid" I-9 for every current employee. An alpha binder works great. Yes, there is a rule that you need to keep the I-9 xxx days after termination, which is fine, but if you already passed the big test (the one I mentioned first), the chances the auditors are going to dig in and look for the small stuff is poor. If you fail the first test, you are fired, and have no real interest in what the auditors turn up later on.

Some people put the I--9 in the personnel file. BAD IDEA. Get the I-9s together and do not let ICE auditors dumpster dive your personnel files.

CaroleNJ